Topband: KLIX, SPURS and FRONT END SAVERS

Ed Swynar gswynar at durham.net
Fri Jan 13 21:07:29 EST 2006

> It does this, along with performing other valuable
> functions. I should have been more careful in my sentence construction in
> pointing out the difference in my unit.
>
> Sorry for any confusion I created Gary!!
>
> Bill, VE3CSK

Hi Bill et al,

Your point is most certainly well taken...

Whereas the Yaesu FT-980's "...separate receiving antenna port"
automatically grounds any separate receiving antenna when transmitting, that
of the Icom 751A does NOT...this was made painfully clear to me one night as
I transmitted (with QRO), & the wave form of my signal on the SB-610
monitorscope looked anything but normal! I was using a 1600' Beverage for
receiving...

The solution...? An EXTERNAL antenna relay box, activated when transmitting,
that GROUNDS the receiving antenna at that time.

It behooves EVERY prudent Amateur running separate antennas to take a moment
to review the schematic of his rig, to ensure that ANY receiving antenna is,
indeed, grounded when sending. If not, an external "mini-cased" relay is
most assuredly NOT all that a difficult project to tackle!

And no, I do NOT know why the engineers of some specific firms didn't take
this into consideration when designing some of these "rice rockets"...!

~73~ Eddy VE3CUI - VE3XZ