Topband: Carriers on 160

Pete Smith n4zr at contesting.com
Thu Jan 19 09:50:38 EST 2006

I recently finished an array of K9AY loops for 160, and am now hearing things I never heard before.  In particular, there are weak carriers on 1810, 1820 and 1830 KHz.  They are apparently skywave, since they go away once the sun is up.  My array points only NE (at this point).  The carriers don't seem to have any modulation, but they are too weak to be certain.  I assume they are not AM broadcast harmonics because they aren't at 20 KHz intervals.  Some sort of mixing products, maybe?

73, Pete N4ZR
The World HF Contest Station Database
Full details on 3085 contest stations
at http://www.pvrc.org/WCSD/WCSDsearch.htm