Topband: Boring Report - 9N7JO

Tree tree at kkn.net
Tue Jan 24 15:08:55 EST 2006

This morning I had an appointment that enabled me to be on the radio at
sunrise (or just before) and was amazed to tune in a signal on 1835 and
find 9N7JO CQing!  I didn't have the transmitter QRV yet - but I found
some people up 1 calling.  This was around 1525 UTC.

I never heard another peep out of JO - and since N7UA wasn't raising
him, I doubt I would have either.  It was just such a surprise to hear
zone 22 for the first time.  Down the band, VR2MY and 9M2AX had very
good signals - stronger than I have ever heard them.

Noticed the dipole was holding its own with the vertical at least on
those last two stations.

Seems like a lot of DX is showing up getting QRV for the CQ 160.  Hope
conditions are good.

A couple of nights ago, S9SS was coming through for over an hour.  No
QSO - but it was nice to finally hear him.  Europe has been workable
about half of the evenings so far this month.  Lots of UA4s in the log
a few nights ago.

73 Tree N6TR/7
Boring, OR
tree at kkn.net