Topband: CQ 160 WW - MD4K signals?

Dave Sharred dave at g3nkc.fsnet.co.uk
Tue Jan 31 13:35:40 EST 2006

Hi,

We will post our score as soon as we can ; but our impression this year seemed to be that we weren't getting out so good ??  We heard very well, certainly to the west on our USA beverage; had question marks to the east - it pointed at 50 degrees; so in between JA  and other far east Asia.

We used a dipole or a 95ft vert for most of the time, but Saturday afternoon we put up a Quarter wave vertical on a Met balloon. Was VFB, but by 00:30z Sunday am, we lost the balloon !!!

We worked most US states, with some exceptions of course - W3DQ couldn't hear us for DC; and we were banking on him finding us in the last hours of the contest as he appears to have done over the last couple of years - big pity!

ZF2 NT took over my freq (1816 I think); and we could hear him running USA, but could not raise him. Then I moved up the band, only for him to latch onto us again (about 1845 I think !!!) Bizarre or what !!!

Highlight was working some JA (maybe 10!); but I know there were more calling. A big problem from EU is that if we listen for weak sigs for more than 10 secs, someone steals your freq!!!

We would appreciate any comments direct to me on our signals in comparison to others; especially from G land (inc. GM, GU, GJ), but also to the other loud EU stations.

Any comments on our performance always appreciated , good or bad, we can handle it !!!

Lastly, any sound files always welcome - I am on broadband !

73

Dave
G3NKC (op & QSL Manager for MD4K)