Topband: Calling without hearing (was CQ 160 WW)

by way of Bill Tippett <btippett@alum.mit.edu> topband-bounces at contesting.com
Tue Jan 31 18:30:44 EST 2006

From: =?iso-8859-2?Q?Petr=20Ou=F8edn=EDk?= <indians at seznam.cz>
Subject: Re: Topband: Calling without hearing (was CQ 160 WW)

Tom wrote>
 >  What's the best way to reduce that problem?

Tom and others,

I am a beginner on Top band reflector so maybe I've no rights to talk
so much over there, but in this case maybe I have some solution
reducing the problem...

...not calling CQ DX at any price even not calling CQ DX when "I am"
using 2kW and "my" receiver is connected to LW 40m up 6m in industrial area !

It sounds me like Symphony to listenning ON4UN; G3ZES etc. how they
are able to work DX by DX on 160m although the band seems to be dead
in my QTH > just noise only, but these guys spent lot of time to
build an receiving antennas for first I guess and then solved the
problem with enough power...

Please follow my things shortly > after my moving to new QTH I have
no antennas for RX/TX on 160m so I am looking for any solution for
long time. I am testing number of antennas for RX and trying to find
the best solution in my crazy small lot over there. My idea is to
focuse to build up as best performance receiving antennas as possible
in my location to be able hear even small pistols DX's first and then
I would like to look for any TX antenna to go in the air. Yes, it
means for longer time be only SWL from my home QTH, but what I can do better?
As I am listenning on Top band every nite > I heard many times as
some EU's calling CQ and no answered to JA's or even VK's calling
back ! It means that my antenna (low inverted V for 40m) is so good
for receiving? Definitely not > it means that their receiving
conditions are pretty bad.
Many times I heard as big guns calling CQ DX and of course they are
working DX's > at this moment I thought that I will install some
inverted L for TX and I also should try to call CQ cause the band is
significantly openned. But I did not do it ever cause I never know
how much station answering me and thinking about me that I am crazy
with "potato" instead of receiver...

So what do You thing about changing the behaviour on Top band? Seems
to be a fashion to call CQ DX cause it shows to others "hey I am
DXer". From ownself experiences I can not recommend > if my setup is
not fairly DXer setup then it more saying to others "hey I am crazy
or in worse case I am LID"...

...or am I wrong?

73 and CU on Top,
Petr OK1RP