Topband: Calling without hearing (was CQ 160 WW)

Richard (Rick) Karlquist (N6RK) richard at karlquist.com
Tue Jan 31 23:45:59 EST 2006

> from 0000-0600. This would encourage the USA/Canada stations who want
> to call CQ to go up the band during that time period..  They can work

Stations will call CQ higher when S&P'ers listen higher.  In a contest
a few weeks ago, I called CQ on the lowest QRM free frequency, which
was about 1905.  I got very few replies, and I know my signal was loud.
OTOH, if I QSY'ed to 1845, then I got plenty of calls, some of which
I could copy through the heavy QRM.  I repeated this experiment numerous
times with the same results.  Perhaps some stations have narrow band
antennas and can't get up to 1900, but I suspect there were plenty who
could have but didn't.  D4B had no lack of callers when he was on 1905
a few years ago.

Regarding working JA's split:  be my guest.  Call CQ and say QSX
1910 kHz, like we did 5 years ago.  You won't hear any W6's up there,
at least not at USA sunrise.

Rick N6RK