Topband: A question of efficiency

Guy Olinger, K2AV olinger at bellsouth.net
Fri Jul 21 07:30:16 EDT 2006

...except my main radiator is not a tower, but rather a 6-wire,
37-inch diameter cage
suspended alongside and 3 feet away from the tower.

A tower next to driven radiator IS in play and will be carrying
substantial currents. In some setups I have modeled, the tower is
carrying more current than the "antenna" supported by the tower, and
for all practical purposes the tower IS the antenna, and the supported
"antenna" is a matching device.

I am curious whether you centered the radials on the bottom of the
wire or the tower, and whether the tower is connected to the radial
field with a low impedance connection, and if all the coax coming down
the tower are bonded at the base.

Lacking a good connection from TOWER to the radial, you may be
suffering from series ground loss at the base of the tower. This would
have the deceptive result of broadening the SWR curve from loss,
falsely suggesting that the cage was broadbanding the actual
combination.

Only carefully modeling all the conductors will determine what the
"main radiator" really is.

73, Guy.

Scanned for viruses by Blue Coat
http://www.WinProxy.com/