Topband: K9AY Antenna

K9AY k9ay at k9ay.com
Fri Jul 28 14:41:18 EDT 2006

> For some reason my K9AY lost it's directivity, seems to receiver well in
> all directions.
>
> Bill
> WA4FKI

Bill,

While a dramatic change in ground conductivity in dry weather can be a
problem, I haven't received any reports of the antenna becoming
omnidirectional -- usually its just reduced directivity.

There are other problems that can cause a pattern that doesn't change.  Some
of these include burned out terminating resistors due to nearby lightning or
transmitted RF, a corroded or broken connection from the loop to relays or
to the ground rod, or a failure somewhere in the control wiring that keeps
the relays from switching.

73, Gary
K9AY