Topband: Preamp info wanted

W0UN -- John Brosnahan shr at swtexas.net
Sun Jun 18 10:15:24 EDT 2006

I ran across an old preamp in my junk box and I am trying to
find the source of the design, so I can modify it for AM BC DX.

It has an MPF102 JFET first stage and an MC1350 8-pin DIP
IF amp chip second stage.  (Way too much gain.)  The front has
a gain pot as well as a toggle switch to select between two
input toroidal coils with compression trimmers.  One set for
160M and the other for 80M.  The output has a toroidal core
transformer.

It is built on a circuit board and clearly assembled by ME since
the panel is in my handwriting.  But I don't recall where the
design came from.

I have to think it was in some popular magazine or handbook,
and it must have been a serious enough project for someone
to make circuit boards available.   I probably built this in the
mid/late 1980s or so.

Much of my library is still at the Colorado QTH so I have been
unable to do a complete search of my own data.  Anyone have
any idea where this was published and can anyone steer me to
a copy or scan it for me?

Thanks  -- John  W0UN

It has been suggested that it might be the KD9SV design -- but that
is a single stage IGFET rather than this 2-stage JFET/IC design.