Topband: BOG antenna-more info ?

k3bu at optonline.net k3bu at optonline.net
Thu Nov 9 16:44:41 EST 2006

> The ground around here is mostly sandstone, clay, shale and
> sand. The BOG could run about 270' in a straight line but that
> doesn't seem long enough even using a pre-amp. I'd like to use
> the whole spool of 500' but I would have to "zig-zag" it to use
> up the whole spool. I could run it with one large radius
> starting towards the South and half way ending with the end of
> the wire pointing SSE. This would cover approx. 100' additional
> feet for a total of 370' max. all running on the face of a long
> hill sloping uphill. I would like to receive signals from all
> directions as I want it for DX and would like to hear all
> stations that are available. Maybe a set-up like this won't be
> much better then my TX antenna. What do you think ?
>
> Gary

Run as much as you can on the perifery of your property.
I did that, with "Dog Loop" antenna OG, originally intended as a invisible dog RF fence, but by the time I got it down, dog was smart and did not need it. So i put 600:50 ohm transformer on the ends of the loop (about 600 ft in rectangle config.) and it works well, great S/N, extra amplifier helps.

73 Yuri, K3BU