Topband: another Cycle 24 prediction

Carl K9LA k9la at gte.net
Sun Oct 1 12:39:32 EDT 2006

  Another prediction for Cycle 24 just showed up in the journal
'Spaceweather' published by the American Geophysical Union (AGU). If
this one turns out to be the most accurate one, it will be good news for
topbanders.

Using a low-frequency solar oscillation model with an added long-period
420-year component, the authors predict that Cycle 24 will come in at a
smoothed sunspot number of 42 with an uncertainty of plus or minus 34.
This could make Cycle 24 the smallest solar cycle since Cycles 5 and 6
in the early 1800s (maximum smoothed sunpsot numbers of around 50).

Note that this is just one more of many predictions from the scientific
community for Cycle 24. These predictions range all the way from this
low prediction to a very high prediction of 170 plus/minus about 13.

So who's prediction method is going to be most accurate? We'll have a
good idea of this around 2009 as we gather data on Cycle 24's ascent.

Carl K9LA