Topband: Radials Again

Dennis OConnor ad4hk2004 at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 3 07:38:56 EDT 2006

RE elevated radials needing to be a significant fraction of lambda above ground:  Suggest you read Les Moxon's book "HF Antennas for all locations" for a discussion of this...
I tend to avoid the battles about elevated radials becasue what I see is mostly religious fervor, not empirical results... I will comment that I was one of the few stations to work Heard Island on 160 from the northern tier of the USA, mid Michigan...  This was done with 8 elevated radials, head high, and a leaning vertical...  A later discussion with the ops was that my signal was Q5 in the midst of a general broken buzzing of unreadable calls from other stations...  Just luck, or the elevated radials?

denny / k8do