Topband: Radials Again

Garry Shapiro garry at ni6t.com
Tue Oct 3 23:28:41 EDT 2006

Tom Rauch, W8JI said:

"Congratulations on that nice DX, but the religious fervor
comes when people "feel good" without actually having any
real meaningful or useful data."

IMHO, no supposed "expert" ever personified that more than the late Lew
McCoy, W1ICP. After reading his articles and reviews for years, I concluded
that, paraphrasing what was said about Will Rogers, "he never met an antenna
he did not like." He was a leading proponent of the "I put it up and I
worked DX" school of antenna non-measurement.

Tom is right. We all have anecdotes of unbelievable QSO's, but few of us
have believable antennas.

Garry, NI6T