Topband: Poor conditions again.

robert briggs vk3zl at bigpond.com
Wed Oct 18 18:30:58 EDT 2006

Hi all.After an excellent Dx run through November things have fallen
into the doldrums here again.Although there are a few signals getting
through,most are down in strength and QSB is really making it
difficult.Keep trying though as I am always listening.
Of note here. I was able to have a contact with HK3BVD Mario on the 13th
my first contact with Colombia.My winter path to South America has
dropped away and I am not able to hear Doug ZP6CWI or Louis Hp3XUG.
Noted plenty of traffic for the ZL8R operation over a few nights and
hope most of you were successful making contact with them.I was hearing
them on the 13th 569 2 hours before my sunset and they were 599+ after
SS.Strangely over the next few nights their signal was a lot weaker
often only 569 but they seemed to be handling plenty of traffic.
Big lightning storm kept me off air on Tuesday 17th,my birthday.No
damage but was pretty scary.Last night still had heavy QRN but managed a
QSO with John VE1ZJ and later with Tom W8JI, both contacts very
difficult.I always seem to manage a nightly contact with Jon DU9/N0NM.He
is generally 599.Must be very frustrating for him as he has a very
difficult receive situation but nevertheless he soldiers on every night
trying to make those US contacts.
Summer is early in VK this year and I note the QRN is starting to
build.I am getting on air at sunrise every day in anticipation of my
European season but to date there is very little propagation.Daylight
saving starts at the end of October so I will begin to look seriously at
EU.I will still be on for US East coast sunrise Dx so look forward to
catching you all.
73 to all.....Bob VK3ZL