Topband: topband: Tee Verticals

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Sat Oct 21 12:47:31 EDT 2006

On Fri, 20 Oct 2006 12:34:12 -0400, Jim Jarvis wrote:

>I would expect the results on
>that band to reflect reduced signal strength on signals within
>about 1000 miles, possibly no change out to maybe 3,000 miles,
>and improved performance on longer paths...on 80.

Not necessarily. It will depend on how high the dipole is and how it
interacts with your terrain. My 80M vertical (quarter wave) is
significantly better than my 35 ft high dipole almost anywhere in NA
-- except within about 200 miles. The reason, I believe, is that
I've got a ridge to the North, East, and SE that affects the dipole
more than the vertical. HFTA predicts that the dipole will be 3-6 dB
better if I raise it to 100 ft, but the vertical is running 6-10 dB
better than the dipole at 35 ft!

Jim Brown K9YC