Topband: Auroral Oval

Paul Kelley N1BUG paul.kelley.n1bug at gmail.com
Sat Oct 21 18:44:24 EDT 2006

W4ZV wrote:
> So disturbed conditions can sometimes actually help.

It's all part of the magic I guess. Even up here in the soon to be
frozen north, where in general we suffer more with geomagnetic
disturbances, they sometimes help. Sometimes even very challenging
paths, such as 9V and JA, are enhanced during disturbances. In fact
I heard 9V1GO exactly 4 times, all with disturbed conditions! The
last one resulted in a QSO.

I have noticed a trend, both in recent observation and my previous
top band operations years ago. Conditions on nearly all paths, even
high latitude circuits, are often enhanced during the first few
hours of a geomagnetic storm. This effect is especially pronounced
if there have been several days of magnetically quiet conditions
preceding the storm. Has anyone else noticed this? I've seen some
amazing enhancement at such times. Once a disturbance has been going
for many hours - and certainly by the second day - most high
latitude paths are usually poor or useless. It takes several days to
recover to good/normal conditions if it was an intense or prolonged
storm. If a storm follows several days of unsettled to active
conditions - or comes too soon after a previous storm - there is
little or no 'storm enhancement' at my location.

73,
Paul N1BUG