Topband: Hopefully back on Top Band this fall/winter

steve d kc8qvo at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 25 18:08:24 EDT 2006

Hi everyone, I know several of the members here in the states heard me on the air last fall/winter quite often. I was trying to go for WAS 160. I think I made it to about 30 to 32 states. I operated just about every night from the 160 contest until the band started getting noisy in the early spring. My antennas were a 160-10 G5RV and a K9AY loop system for rx.

  This fall/winter I hope to be back on the band. I am at a different QTH though so I am going to have to start on a fresh slate with the WAS. I will also be extremely limited on antennas - right now Ill just be running from my screwdriver on the back of the truck. Once it comes back from being repaired Ill get on the air.

  On another note, I transfered to Ohio State University this year. I was going to Sinclair Community College in Dayton Ohio. Now that I am at OSU I am a member of W8LT. At this time we dont have anything set up on Top Band but I am hoping to be able to set something up. As some of you probably remember, we had the famous 550ft long wire for many years. That was taken down when the station moved out of the stadium. The current location of the station is in the basement of Bevis Hall on West Campus. Right now we are set up on 80, 40, 20, 15, 10, 6, 2, and 70cm. I will try and get the group together to get an antenna up on 160.

Steve, KC8QVO