Topband: metal roof ground plane

Rudy Severns rudys at ordata.com
Thu Sep 14 14:57:48 EDT 2006

I would like to point out a couple of important points to those of you who
have been reading my QEX article.

1) The example in the article was for 80 m.

2) All the metal sheets were bonded together.

3) Even for that much roof area, I still had to use an isolation choke.
Without it there was lots of RF in the shack on the transmission line from
the attic to the shack.

4) On 160 m that much roof is effectively only half the size ( in terms of
wavelengths).

5) Don't forget the effect of gutters and down spouts which may or may not
be metal or connected to the roof and/or ground.  In my case they were not
connected.

73, Rudy N6LF