Topband: Beverages in Rugged Terrain

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Fri Sep 22 19:15:44 EDT 2006

My new QTH is 8.5 acres in a mountainous area. I'm at 2,000 ft, with
a 200 ft ridge above me beginning a bit west of north (i.e., about
330 degrees) and continuing to about 160 degrees) (on the order of
1/4 mile to 1/2 mile away). Any Beverage that I install will need to
traverse one or more ravines with slopes of 45 degrees or more (up
and down). Is this something worth trying, or should I look to EWE
and similar antennas instead?  If I do install Beverages, do I want
to follow the slope of the ground (that is, maintain a constant
distance from the ground), or do I run them in a straight line?

73,

Jim Brown K9YC