Topband: aluminium welding wire

Bill Tippett btippett at alum.mit.edu
Thu Apr 5 11:17:26 EDT 2007

VE2RYY wrote:

 >I  have the opportunity of getting three spools of .035" al. welding wire.
each spool is about 20 lbs.

         .035" is ~19 Gauge.  Sounds a little light to me.
For comparison purposes many farm or home supply stores carry
Fi-Shock 17 Gauge Aluminum fence wire which sells for about
USD 15 per 1/4 mile (1320').

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200311285_200311285

 >I wonder how many feet we get from one spool.

         20 pounds of #19 is 16.6k feet according to

http://www.amarkindustries.com/wire_gauge_chart.shtml#aluminum

(NOTE: second column is pounds/ft...not "ft/pound").

 >Anybody using this kind  of wire for radials on 160.meters.

         I believe many expeditions have used this wire
due to its light weight.

 >I wonder how long the radials will last on the ground?????

         That would be my concern.  Even galvanized wire
does not last long in my soil.  It would depend on the
acidity of your soil.

                                 73,  Bill  W4ZV