Topband: Small gauge wire for radials

JAMESAMS88 at aol.com JAMESAMS88 at aol.com
Thu Apr 5 17:13:17 EDT 2007

Hello Gang,  I noticed someone commented that they thought 19 gauge  wire was
two small for radials.  Gosh I hope not as I have a yard full of  surplus
telephone cloth covered inside telephone frame wires from 22 gauge to a  few 26
gauge.  I realized it was quite small but I guessed then just put in  more
radials to make up for the small gauge. My yard is small and most the  radials are
only 35 foot a very few 65 foot and maybe 6 or 8 are 135  long. But to make
up for the short and small gauge radials just put in  more.  I have about 180
radials for my base loaded vertical which only  plays fair on top band but on
40 and 80 it plays very well with DXCC  on  all three bands. The small gauge
wire was free and my point is as a ham you  use what you have especially if it
is cheap. Just add more wire if the gauge is  small.  Make sense?  I don't know
but I have fun and sometimes it even  works.  73  Jim W0NFL in Ames, Ia.