Topband: Request from FK8CP

Michael Tope W4EF at dellroy.com
Thu Apr 5 22:20:01 EDT 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Raymond" <daraymond at iowatelecom.net>
To: "Topband" <topband at contesting.com>
Sent: Wednesday, April 04, 2007 8:03 AM
Subject: Topband: Request from FK8CP

>A couple of days ago, I received a QSL card from Remi, FK8CP.  Enclosed
>with
> the card were two separate full page, single spaced letters requesting
> help.
> Letter #1 requests technical assistance.  Letter #2 discusses his
> operating
> habits, needed countries, etc.  The information Remi was conveying is
> fairly
> extensive but can be boiled down to several key points as follows:
>
> 1.  The amplifier that Remi recently got has developed a problem (he
> didn't
> specify the problem or the symptoms).  He believes the problems are with
> two
> faulty PIN diodes, type MA4P4006D.  He is looking to find a pair "at a
> very
> cheap price (even used but in good order)."

David,

I sent Alpha an email inquiring about the MA4P4006D and they wrote back
and pointed me to the Alpha Radio Products webstore:

http://alpharadioproducts.com/merchant5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=AS&Category_Code=A87

The email I got from Molly W0MOM wasn't entirely clear on this, but
she implied that the MA4P4006D was the transmit pin diode. These
are listed as P/N DPX-X112 on the website and they go for $125.00
each. The receive pin diodes are listed as P/N DPX-X103 and go for
$12.00 each. Anyone know for sure if the MA4P4006D is the TX
or RX pin diode in the Alpha 87?? Here are some specifications that
I found on the web for the diode:

Part Number = MA4P4006D
Manufacturer Name = Various
Description = General Purpose PIN Diode