Topband: Sunrise times

Ian Keyser ian.keyser at btopenworld.com
Sun Apr 22 16:46:27 EDT 2007

> I'm not sure that the exact geometry of the situation matters too
> much, though, because I think the speed with which the rising D-layer
> ionization reaches full absorption of topband signals is more a
> function of the intensity of the solar radiation striking it than
> with the time differential between ground-level sunrise and D-layer
> sunrise, and so varies with solar activity.

As a 'pleb' I am staggered at how much this varies, the other morning I was
chatting with a W ( Anno dominiii explains the reason I cannot remember who
it was!) signals were a true 599 and the sun was streaming through the shack
window.... I then worked a CX station.... what is going on???

Ian, G3ROO

ps.... I'm now on 502KHz, anyone would like skeds??