Topband: QRN source and direction

w2pm at aol.com w2pm at aol.com
Thu Apr 26 10:29:42 EDT 2007

>Because I don't have a "beverage farm", I'm wondering if someone of
you try to
f>ind the direction and place from where the QRN is coming at a certain
time?!
>I'm asking this because the QRN is a big issue on 160m and maybe we
can do
>something to limit its action by using certain nulling antennas. Also
I'm
>interested to findout how a thunder will propagate on 160m band. What
is its
>range?
>If you have some information in this way I'll appreciate sharing it
with me.
>Another question is about the cosmic noise. I don't know what is its
amplitude
>at this wave length.

>Thanks.

>73 de YO3FFF
>Cristi

W2PM Repies:

Cristi - a simple antenna to try to work around the QRN would be the 4
direction K9AY loop.  You can also build a rotatable flag.  But don't
forget to practice your "brain DSP" as often the DX can come from the
same direction as the QRN.

Reference to lightning propagation I think that depends on conditions
the same way any signal does.  I can often judge the overall quality of
the band on 160 depending on whether I can hear distant lightning QRN
in the winter here in New Jersey.  If I can hear it - the band is open
AND quiet locally.  If the QRN is S9 plus and constant, as it can be in
the summer here, it's time to forget about radio and make sure your
lightning protection is implemented!  73 Pete W2PM