Topband: RX 4 square

Greg - ZL3IX zl3ix at inet.net.nz
Thu Aug 23 14:08:31 EDT 2007

Tom Rauch wrote:
>> birdies were not present on the transformer version.  I
>> suggest to anyone
>> who does not believe this: try it yourself.
>>

> I have, several times and the results were not good. It
> would also be interesting to see how others who have built
> arrays weigh in on this. I know ZL3IX and others use active
> elements.

My array uses a FET source follower on each element, for the exact
reasons that Tom cites.  The series capacitance of a 3m element on 160m
is around 20pF, a reactance of 4 kohm.  It's much easier to match 8 of
these using a high Z amp, in my opinion.

A pair of J310's and a couple of passives probably costs less than a
transformer in any case, and is not much more trouble.

One nice spin off is that the cable and amps are so easy to check from
the combiner box.  I have a jig that injects 12V DC on to the coax and
measures the current drawn.  In all cases it is 30 +- 2 mA.  Any
deviation from this and I know that something is wrong.  With a
transformer you can check for open circuit all right, but if the thing
goes short, it's not quite so easy to see.

I must admit, I have never tried the transformer idea.

By the way, this is the second time I have tried to send this.  The
first time i committed the sin of sending in HTML.  Hope this gets
through the filters now!

73, Greg, ZL3IX