Topband: 160m portable operating

Dennis OConnor ad4hk2004 at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 28 08:07:20 EDT 2007

Well, with the trees and some open space, I would opt for either an inverted L or a vertical Tee for transmit....
  Some aluminum fence wire for a bunch of short radials underneath the vertical...  In fact use that wire for everything and just clamp the connections...
  The radios in a nice warm car (back seat), van, or travel trailer... A small generator outside so we can have coffee and lights, and maybe soem heat...

  Now for receive antennas, it depends on how much effort you want to go for...
  You could throw up some temporary beverages out through the trees, draped over the limbs, brush, etc...
  Or a beverage towards EU at least, on some short sticks just above the ground/snow...
  Or a K9AY array...
  But personally being lazy, I would put up either a horizontal loop  or a pair of dipoles at  right angles, a few feet off the ground...  Use the trees for supports as much as possible (remember, I'm lazy)...

  Over the decades I have found operating from these type of temporary setups more fun and more memorable than operating my antennas at home where the pressure is always on to have a good score, or work that rare DX...
  The portable operation is mentally: any QSO is a good QSO, and who gives a rip what the score is...

  denny / k8do