Topband: WD1-A

Dennis W0JX w0jx at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 9 11:55:24 EST 2007

Bruce:
  The beverage wire that you have might NOT be WD-1A. I have checked the specifications on the internet and the most recent spec calls for 7 conductors, four are a soft copper and three are a springy steel.

  I just stripped a piece to test mine and the three steel conductors are attracted to a magnet. All seven strands are tinned I believe. I wrap the four soft conductors around the three steel when I use it. The resistance of 500 feet of WD-1A is about 9 ohms per side or 18 ohms total for a closed circuit.

  There was an earlier military phone wire called WD-1/TT. Perhaps you have that. I am almost certain that if the wire is copper colored, it is not the latest version of WD-1A.

  73, Dennis W0JX/8