Topband: UA3AWG worked ??? path at West Coast sunrise during ARRL contest

Richard (Rick) Karlquist richard at karlquist.com
Tue Dec 11 11:57:33 EST 2007

Several of us on the west coast made a rare QSO
with Europe at sunrise (1400Z) during the ARRL 160 meter
contest.  UA3AWG was as strong as the JA's that
morning.  Not sure exactly what the path was but
not from the southwest like true LP on 80 and 40.  However,
the last time I remember this happening on 160,
LP on 80 was wide open.  This is strictly a case
of being on the air at the magic time, not a
matter of having a big station.  I was running
barefoot at the time, being SOLP in the contest.

Rick N6RK