Topband: 1/8 wave vertical

doktorij at bellsouth.net doktorij at bellsouth.net
Wed Dec 26 08:20:54 EST 2007

For what it's worth, I started out with a 55' base loaded vertical and it worked OK. It was not the best for DX with 100W, but did manage to work the folks with good ears. I went to a 78' vertical also base loaded and it worked better. Base loading works, but is the least desirable option.

I also had a 46' wire Tee or Marconi vertical strung on the side of my AB-621 mast. It worked a heck of a lot better, managed 7th place in the 2005 ARRL 160 with it.

My best antenna now is a 72' Tee with about 60 ten to eighty foot long radials. I'm five short of DXCC with 100w since 2006 when I put it up. It's aluminum and wire.

Cheers,
Julius
n2wn