Topband: 1/8 wave vertical

Tom Rauch w8ji at contesting.com
Thu Dec 27 10:13:18 EST 2007

>  Right, and on both ends.... Last night for example -
> every time I called CQ DX on the EU array I would get a
> reply that sounded like a swarm of bees about 1dB below
> the level of copyability - just a letter here and there...
> If those fellas would put a bit of effort into their
> transmit antennas there would be lots more qso's available
> to them...

There is no disputing 1dB is worthwhile in the rare
situation where a signal is hanging right at copy threshold,
but I think someone well-versed with signals, noise, and
statistics would have fun with the idea 1db would suddenly
open a doorway to a room full of extra QSO's.

I think the threshold for that is more like 5 or 10dB.

I barely notice a difference between my omni and 4 square,
and that is a good 5-7db change. As a matter of fact I'm
always amazed what a dipole at 50 feet, virtually always
10-15dB down, can work.

Look at the people who swear by a few elevated radials, or
who love GAP antennas!

73 Tom