Topband: The 12th Running of The Stew Perry TopBand DX Challenge

Merv Schweigert k9fd at flex.com
Sun Dec 30 13:48:19 EST 2007

Well the running of the SP bulls is over and sorry to say I missed all most
all of it.   I had put off erecting the top loaded vertical for some other
honey do's and regretted it when for the past month we have had high
winds and rainy weather.   I live on the trade wind side of the island and
it blows most of the time.
Yesterday morning the winds dropped,  Murphy taking a break?  and my
wife and I rushed out and raised the gin pole, and in short time had gin
poled up the vertical.  Its on the old AM BC tower base and of course
tied into the radial system.   Was shocked when I hooked the MFJ259
to the base and it was resonant just as planned at 1750KHZ,  I trimmed
the top loading and brought it up to 1800 and stopped as the wind had
come back in force.  Will try and go out today and trim it up to 1830KHZ.
Fed it with a 4 to 1 unun and away we went.
Thrill was working WB9Z over an hour before my sunset,  also worked
K1LT.   With the old antennas I could not usually work any of those
signals before sunset, so hoping this is an improvement.
I got on the band this morning at sunrise and worked several JA with great
signals,  RA3, RA4, UA9, UA0 etc.  the big test will be in the evening
path to southern EU which has been difficult with the old antenna systems.
Hope all had a great SP and a Happy New Year,  look for you all on
top band, anxious to see if you "can hear me now"
73 Merv K9FD/KH6