Topband: Antenna Measuring Oddities

Eric Rosenberg wd3q at starpower.net
Thu Feb 8 00:51:10 EST 2007

I recently add an 80m inv-L adjacent to my 160 inv-L, sharing the
radials but having a separate feedline. It's 55 ft up in the tree, with
the horizontal ("tail") 25 ft, running south.

I measured the SWR with a MFJ-259B and then ran 100w through the antenna
and measured it with my RF Applications VFD meter. The results were very
different.

I live in a hight RF environment (I'm ~5 miles from a broadcaster
putting out 50kw on 1500 kHz.  I've heard that the MFJ unit has problems
in the high RF environment, so my instinct would be to favor the VFD
readings.

Freq   MFJ 259B        RF Apps. VFD
3400    4.2
3500    2.6             1.6
3550                    1.4
3600    2.5             1.3
3650                    1.3
3700    3.0             1.4
3750                    1.6
3800    4.1             1.8
3850                    2.0
3900    5.2             2.2
3950                    2.4

I'm not sure how to reconcile or really believe either one!

Any thoughts  or suggestions are appreciated

73 and thanks,
Eric W3DQ
Washington, DC