Topband: What do you use as a "Run" antenna?

K9AY k9ay at k9ay.com
Wed Feb 28 11:43:04 EST 2007

de N5OT:

> At W8JI for the CW contest I spent probably 95% of the time Europe
> was opening listening to some directional RX antenna pointed at
> Europe...
>
> In contrast, when W4AN operated this contest from Tom's he would use
> a different direction in a different receiver in each ear, hoping to
> not miss people.  I am pretty sure that was less productive, ...

-------

The last statement above depends on the operator, location, propagation and
noise.

Here in the Midwest, I have found listening with different antennas in two
receivers highly productive -- absolutely essential at certain times. We
can't run Europeans all evening, so the importance of "bulk" QSO totals, DX
or not, is paramount. A high rate early in the contest, which always
includes stations in all directions, can partially offset the need to spend
more time S&P for DX multipliers.

My response to weak stations is similar to guys with one receiver.  I focus
on one radio and find the best RX antenna. However, in every contest, there
will be a few weak stations that are only copyable with two radios feeding
my "neural processor."

73, Gary
K9AY