Topband: New England Conditions On 160

EP Swynar gswynar at durham.net
Tue Jan 2 21:16:16 EST 2007

Greetings All,

We'll be (joyfully!) delivering our eldest-born back to Portland, Maine to-morrow, so that he might resume his scholastic studies there, after spending Christmas break home here with us...

As we'll be staying in the area for a day or two, recuperating from the 12 hour drive, I'm seriously thinking about bringing along my venerable old Heathkit SB-301 receiver, its matching homebrewed 160-meter "up" converter, & a ball of wire to toss out junior's second storey window...I've always been curious as to how Top Band might sound from the Atlantic seaboard coastline lo these many years as landlocked landlubber.

I just hope the big-gun "1"-land stations won't blow the 6EH7 RF amplifier tube out of the converter when the band opens!

~73~ Eddy VE3CUI - VE3XZ