Topband: beverage lobes

Richard (Rick) Karlquist richard at karlquist.com
Mon Jan 8 12:24:54 EST 2007

> Also statement on W8JI web site that "It is not necessary, nor
> does it do any good, to go beyond 1-1/2 or 2 WL." is not true. I
> have used 3.5 wave beverages and they kill other shorter
> Beverages when signal angles are low.
>
> 73  Yuri, K3BU

Maybe long beverages work at your QTH.  I have tried installing
a relay at the 400 ft point of a longer beverage.  I have listened
on the beverage and toggled the relay.  I get no benefit out of more
than 400 ft of wire.  I once tried a 1300 ft beverage.  It needed
no terminating resistor to get very high F/B ratio because the
signal to be rejected was totally dissipated by the time it bounced
off the end and traveled another 1300 ft to the feedpoint.  YMMV.

Rick N6RK