Topband: MFJ 1025

W2pm at aol.com W2pm at aol.com
Tue Jan 9 11:41:11 EST 2007

In a message dated 1/9/2007 8:54:37 AM Eastern Standard Time,
raoulc at smmcape.co.za writes:

This  brings me to a question about the FT1000 MP MK V Field that I am  using:

Last season I found that using the DSP noise reduction and the  250Hz crystal
filter from Yaesu gave best signal to noise.
(or using the  narrowest setting of the DSP filter with the 250 hz crystal
filter in the  IF.)The  500Hz 455KC mechanical filter Collins that I also
installed  is hardly used on 160m.
It seems as if it is a case of VERY narrow or WIDE  open.
This season on 160m I always use the widest settings for best copy!  The
noise seems to the same (qrn noise)Could it be that I have new local  noise?
BTW I also use the attenuator a lot. Antennas are the same as last  season.
73
Raoul

On my MKV I find the 500hz 455 filter fairly non-useful and it's always  beat
by keeping the receiver on the wider filter and using the 120 Hz DSP  filter.
 FAR superior copy that way even on very noisy nights. I only use  the narrow
455 in crowded conditions where there is no choice. The noise  reduction
button settings on the MKV are also quite useful but NOT with the  narrow DSP
audio filters - it's one or the other  here.