Topband: Effect of DC on Ferrite Toroids?

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Tue Jan 9 12:25:37 EST 2007

On Tue, 09 Jan 2007 11:56:42 -0500, David Sinclair wrote:

>Remember, cause
>a device to run non- linear, and you might get it to work as a crude
>rectifier or mixer. Not good. A small core running near saturation could
>possibly introduce signal distortion in some cases.

YES!  And a LARGE core running near saturation could also introduce
distortion -- that is, INTERMOD!  This could be a VERY big deal in a
voltage balun, because the core carries the entire output of the
transmitter. I'm beginning to suspect this as a reason why some stations
running good gear are broader than others.

It is NOT a big deal in a sufficiently beefy choke (current) balun,
because the current balun sees only the common mode current, and if it's
sufficiently beefy, is reducing that current to a very small value (and
thus staying below non-linearity).

I'm wondering if anyone has measured significant intermod in a voltage
balun that is being driven hard?  Tom?

73,

Jim Brown K9YC