Topband: DXpedition Advice for Anyone

Tom Rauch w8ji at contesting.com
Thu Jan 11 17:40:39 EST 2007

> 4.  ALWAYS split at least 2 kHz.

The above is VERY important. There are very few CW signals
that are clean 1kHz away, plus people will make errors. 2kHz
is the very minimum split that assures people will hear you
when you are weak.

I really don't understand why any DX station works a close
split, unless they have never listened to a weak signal next
to a few strong signals.

I'd like to add on 160 because of slow QSB it is helpful to
repeat the callsign of the station you are working at the
end. That way of QSB takes out the early part or makes a
person unsure he will have a good chance of hearing it
confirmed later. Takes less time to do that then to work the
same people three times.

73 Tom