Topband: W7IUV Preamp from Low Band DXing

Dan Zimmerman N3OX n3ox at n3ox.net
Sun Jan 14 02:20:54 EST 2007

Just a heads-up to the flag, pennant, and K9AY builders-to-be out there.

I built a W7IUV-design preamp using the 2n5109 tonight.  I built it
from the 4th ed. Low Band DXing so I'd have the schematic in front of
me.  When I hooked it up, it amplified, and I was happy, but I
measured the gain and it was only about 8dB.

I found the problem.  The schematic in Low Band DXing lists the
unbypassed part of the emitter resistor as 47 ohms instead of 4.7
ohms.

And there's my missing 10dB.

Just thought I'd let everyone know.  It's a nice simple project and
I'd imagine a lot of people are building from ON4UN's book.

73,
Dan