Topband: Teflon in Ferrite binocular cores

Dennis W0JX w0jx at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 17 21:56:43 EST 2007

The ferrite binocular cores are conductive and can have sharp edges as I learned the hard way. It is easy to scratch the enamel off wire and cause a short. What I do instead of using tubing is I coat the inside of the core with a thin layer of clear finger nail polish called "Hard as Nails" and let it dry before I put the windings in.  Glyptal varnish might work too but it is a bit thicker.