Topband: BINOCULAR CORE WINDING

Mr. and Mrs. Magoo magoo at isp.ca
Thu Jan 18 07:40:13 EST 2007

I have wound up perhaps 30 transformers on the BN202-73 cores over the last
three years for myself and friends and have had no problems with shorted
turns.  I have used #26 enamel for the 5-turn windings and whatever small
insulated wire I have on hand for the 2-turn winding.

I have not found one core with a rough edge (all my cores came from Amidon),
but to be sure I do not pull the wire tight to the core.  I check each
transformer after winding and "Goop" the leads to relieve stress.

Are we making a mountain out of a mole hill here?

Bill, VE3CSK