Topband: VU7RG Plans

Bill Tippett btippett at alum.mit.edu
Sat Jan 20 06:59:42 EST 2007

	VU7RG guys had a great opening to the
East Coast last night and worked as far west
as KD9SV in Indiana.  Condx are playing out
fairly well as predicted by NOAA...1st day fair,
followed by disturbances next 2 days and then
gradual improvement.  The forecast now shows
fairy quiet condx the next 4 days (Ap=5 for Jan
21-24) so they hopefully will have a few more
good openings.

	They must QRT at midnite Indian
time on Jan 25 which is 1830z UTC on Jan
24.  This means you have 3 more chances at
our sunset and 4 more days at our sunrise.
They have not been on after their sunset for
the West Coast (or Midwest) openings due
to poor condx so far, but promise to be on the
next 4 days after their 13z sunset.  This path
will most likely be long path (SSW direction)
before your sunrise, shifting to direct path
(NNW) at and after your sunrise.  Direct is
most  likely for W6-7.  Long path is very tough,
even on a good day for W5/9/0, but it can
happen...W0YG and I worked 4S7 from Colo
and WB9Z worked VU2 via long path at this
time of year.

	Good luck to all!  K4UEE, W0GJ and
W5MJ have been the Topband ops so far.  I
believe they are doing a great job considering
the conditions and show what can be done
with knowledgeable operators, good antennas
and fair conditions.  Thanks guys!

			73,  Bill  W4ZV