Topband: arizona report

Michael Tope W4EF at dellroy.com
Thu Jan 25 15:42:23 EST 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jim Brown" <jim at audiosystemsgroup.com>
To: "TopBand List" <topband at contesting.com>
Sent: Thursday, January 25, 2007 7:47 AM
Subject: Re: Topband: arizona report

> On Wed, 24 Jan 2007 14:33:48 -0800, Chortek, Robert L wrote:
>
>>Has anyone else living on a suburban lot in California had good
>>conditions? Things have not been good here.
>
> I'm near Santa Cruz on 8.5 acres with vertical, a dipole, and
> Beverages (one aimed at EU), and the only signal I've EVER heard
> from EU is DL2PY. He was there again last night around 9 pm PST, and
> some western US stations were calling. I worked him a month or so
> ago, the other time I heard him.  I also heard strong signals from
> VY2, KP2, KP4, and PJ2 last night, all strong enough to work.
>
> I like to compare DX propagation on 160 to the tiny beams of light
> peeking through a very dark and stormy sky, moving as the clouds
> move across the sky. Each part of the earth may be illuminated by
> propagation for only 10-20 minutes, and it can be VERY spotty.
>
> 73,
>
> Jim K9YC

This distance between Arizona and California doesn't seem like
much relative to Europe, but in my experience it makes a huge
difference. I think I've heard 3 Euros Q5 from my city lot in Los
Angeles this season (DF2PY, G3JMJ, and F5IN). Still too PW
to get a contact (need mas radials and mas power) -:)-:)