Topband: DX Window For Contest

EP Swynar gswynar at durham.net
Fri Jan 26 10:13:57 EST 2007

On 25th January Phil wrote...

> Someone please post the DX Window frequencies for the contest tonight. I
don't care where it is, but we all need to know so that we can respect it.

***************************

Good Morning Phil et al,

The DX Window is specifically addressed in the on-line rules for the
contest, to whit:

"...PLEASE OBSERVE THE DX WINDOW FROM 1830 TO 1835 KHZ DURING THE HOURS OF
DARKNESS. THE DX WINDOW IS FOR INTERCONTINENTAL CONTACTS...THIS IS A
GENTLEMAN'S CONTEST AND BAND, SO LET'S HELP MAKE INTERCONTINENTAL CONTACTS
HAPPEN..."

My question regarding the correct interpretation of the whole notion of a DX
Window is simply this: who has primary "authority" in the window, i.e. who
is it that actually has the "OK" to operate within it to INITIATE a contact,
the DX station, or the North American...?

And, having completed a QSO, is said NA station obligated to move OUT of the
window so that others might work the DX station he just did, or is it
considered cricket for the NA contestor to simply remain therein, but only
as long as DX stations continue to call him for "string" QSOs...?

Should he automatically reliquish the frequency if another NA station calls
said DX, ON TOP OF a second DX station that might be calling the first NA
station...?

~73~ Eddy VE3CUI - VE3XZ