Topband: Key Clicks

Tom Rauch w8ji at contesting.com
Mon Jan 29 07:31:11 EST 2007

> Next, I raised the drive level to 80% of the ALC range
> (Drive control at
> about 1:00)
>
> Icom Setting                Measured
>
> 2 ms                            0.2 ms
> 4 ms                            0.5 ms
> 6 ms                            1.1 ms
> 8 ms                            1.5 ms
>
> ALC has a profound effect on the IC-7800's CW rise/fall
> time and indeed, on
> most radios.

ALC is part of the power control loop, and is not adjustable
in rigs without a "drive" control.

In the FT1000MP series you can go into a menu and change the
drive setting. I have details on the MKV at

http://www.w8ji.com/ft1000mk_v.htm

I have a question Paul. What ALC level does ICOM say to run
on CW? Do they tell you to barely run the ALC up with the
drive control?

73 Tom