Topband: Waller Flag Antenna

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Tue Jul 17 11:58:23 EDT 2007

On Tue, 17 Jul 2007 09:34:50 EDT, W8FJ at aol.com wrote:

>Why is it that some people still think 160M is dead in  the summer ???
>
>The DX is there year round !   There's just  more days with lots of QRN.  If
>you give up on TopBand in the summertime,  you're missing out on some nice
>surprises.

YES!

Even though I was able to put in only a few hours on 160 during IARU this past
weekend, I worked ZL, KH2, JA, and some east coast stations from Santa Cruz (near
San Francisco). My antennas are just a top loaded vertical, a dipole, and
Beverages.

Remember -- when it's summer in the Northern Hemisphere, it's winter in the
Southern Hemisphere, so while it's noisier for us, it's a lot quieter for them.
Directional RX is BIG help with QRN in the summer.

73,

Jim Brown K9YC