Topband: ALA-100 loop ant for rx

Kerry Rochester kerry.rochester at sky.com
Mon Jun 11 18:16:45 EDT 2007

Hi Topbanders
Back in the autumn of 2006 I bought an ALA100 loop from Wellbrook. I had a lot of advice from the guy there (Andy Ikin) who was very helpful. My problem is/was that I live within 5 & 3 miles of two multiple broadcast sites, where 9 AM BC stations pump out 400kw/125kw (x4) & 4 more 37.5kw. No matter what radio I have used, this has always been a big problem. I have the NQN 11 pole filter, so I am reducing as much as I can. In 12/13 years I had worked 80 countries and heard very few more in all that time.

This past season I worked 37 new ones on 160 (inc JA/CE/DU/VQ9/VU7) and most of that I put down to being able to hear by using the loop. I configured it as a delta in my large loft (a 20m loop) and it has worked really well. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone else in my situation.

Best 73's Kerry - G0LCS - London