Topband: Moon and the Ionosphere : YO3FFF

Carl K9LA k9la at gte.net
Thu Mar 15 19:55:56 EST 2007

Cris,

> One wonders if we will ever find a conclusive answer.

I agree - trying to separate out any effect of the moon from other
variables will likely prove to be very difficult.

> If couple of us want to answer to the question than should set-up an
> experiment! One or two beacons of high power (or about 100-200W) and
> couple of reception points. The propagation path should be choose in
> order to achieve a DX propagation in all direction of interest and
> also a short direction just for having an imagine of the first
> reflection (the distance should be beyond the ground wave action).
> Also could be a good idea to record the beacon on a middle range to
> see if some ducting could appear. This experiment should carry on for
> at least one year to be relevant.

This could also be done with exisiting low frequency BC beacons that are
there every day - for example, a W6 listening to an Asian beacon every
day at the same time for a year as you suggested. To keep the experiment
simple and controlled, I believe it is preferrable to have a path that
stays away from the higher latitudes to minimize geomagnetic field
effects (just another variable to contaminate the data you're after).

Carl K9LA