Topband: FINALLY an SWL card worth having!

Bill Tippett btippett at alum.mit.edu
Sun Mar 18 16:11:29 EST 2007

	Maybe...  I also got a card from VU2-0020,
interestingly at the exact time VU2BGS answered
my CQ in 2004.  I'm attaching a couple of emails
from him below.  Being a bit skeptical by nature,
I'd really be more impressed if I knew all SWLs
actually heard NA DX unassisted, without listening
to a local station (e.g. VQ9LA, A45XR, 8Q7DV,
etc) actually making the QSO...or were not simply
monitoring Packet spots.

			73,  Bill  W4ZV

Date: 13 Sep 2006

Dear OM Bill,

     Thank you for youe e-mail.  I monitor only on CW mode.  I could
monitor 160M band only from Nov 2003 onwards, because earlier to that
I was using a 4 band two-in-one National FM-24 a broadcast band
rx.  For receiving CW signals a BFO was fitted inside by one of HAM
friend and was giving somewhat satisfactory results, eventhough very
less bandwidth.  With that rx logged morethan 18,000 stations from
250 countries.  Since there was problemwith that rx another fdriend
loaned me the B-65 rx and I could log stations on 24, 28 and 1.8
MHZ.  So far my logging is more than 24000 stations from 300
countries all on CW mode.  Received 8500 QSLs from 253
countries.  Getting qsls are at a slow pace since I am depending on
the QSL Bureau.  Logged more than 100 countries on all the bands
except 160M.  I could log only 94 countries on that band.  Logged 4
to 5 US station and 3-4 VE stations.

     Received few awards such as IOTA, EWWA-hf-250,
DDFM.DPXF,KDN,R-100_o, and nine awards from ISWL - HAS, DX Century
CLUB 250, Pacific Ocean, The Americas, Continental, Commonwealth,etc
and HA-VK-CA, etc.  Due for many awards.  Presently my B-65 is not
working and given back for repair.  The problem I am facing is there
is no compretent repair people nearby to my QTH>

     At this QTH(I am near by the Arabian sea) the condx for 160M and
80M are not so good.  Weeks together You dont hear a single station
and  I monitor only foe 1 to 1.5 hrs on these bands.

     Thank you very much once again.    With very 73es awaiting for your QSL

                                           de Viswanathan
                                             swl VU-0020

Date: 20 Sep 2006

Dear OM Bill,

     Thank you for your e-mail.  Here are some of the
loggings:  25-1-04 at 0010UTC VY2ZM,  16-10-05 CX5BW at 0025 UTC,
26-11-05 VE1ZZ at 2251 QSO with A45XR, 27-11-05 VA2AM at 2251 UTC,
1-12-05 KP2A at 2239 RST 349 with 8Q7DV, 0n 10-1-06 NN1N at 2320 RST
349 with VQ9LA, 12-1-06 W3KN at 2232 RST 339 with VQ9LA, 20-1-06 N4IS
at 0054 RST 339 with VQ9LA, 9-2-06 K3WW at 2243 RST 339 with VQ9LA,
on 13-2-06 VA3EF at 2336 RST 339 etc etc.

     Thanking you and best of 73es,

                                               de Viswanathan

                                                   VU-0020