Topband: 160M vertical and snow

David Raymond daraymond at iowatelecom.net
Tue Mar 27 20:15:18 EST 2007

My experience is a bit different.  The wire elements I use for my 80 mtr and
160 mtr 4 squares both have feed points about 8" above the ground.  This
past winter I had  36+" of snow around the elements at various times.  When
this occurred, the 80 mtr array lost virtually all of its directivity and
showed a slight increase in SWR.  The 160 mtr array showed the same problem
but to a lesser extent.  On several occasions I went out and cleared the
snow from the elements and found that the array patterns immediately
returned to normal.  As soon as the deep snow returned, the problem
returned.  It appeared to be a repeatable process.  There are concerns with
current balance and other factors with an array that you would not be facing
with a single element vertical; so perhaps your single vertical array might
not be affected by snow depth.  In any case, I would consider putting the
feed point several inches above ground, enough to avoid any possible
standing water.

73...Dave
W0FLS (also in Iowa)